Natural cleaning solutions for a healthy home
Making the switch to natural cleaning products also helps protect the planet by limiting the number of dangerous chemicals you may release and trap in your home.
Conventional cleaning products are often bad news for the Earth’s natural resources. Many contain phosphorus and nitrates. Water treatment facilities are unable to remove these chemicals from wastewater. As a result, they then end up in waterways and poison your local ecosystem.
In contrast, the all-natural ingredients of green cleaning supplies don’t pose the same threats to the environment. Green cleaning products are non-corrosive and non-toxic. This makes them a much healthier and safer option for your home and the planet.
You’ll also find that natural cleaners are also more likely to use recycled packaging as a way to help the environment further. What’s more, green products also tend to use more sustainable and ethical manufacturing methods.
To make your own all-natural cleaning scrub, try this simple scrubbing paste recipe from Kris Koenig, founder of Overland Park, Ks carpet Cleaner, a kansas-based eco-friendly cleaning company. Mix a half cup of baking soda with liquid castile soap until it’s the consistency of frosting. Scrub whatever surface needs cleaning, then rinse with water.
For many cleaning tasks around the home, you can use products that you might already have on hand:
- A vinegar and water solution can be used to clean and freshen many surfaces around the home, including walls and cupboards. It also works well to clean windows.
- Baking soda can be used not only to help adsorb odors around the house, but also to help clean areas such as bathtubs that you don’t want to scratch.
- Baking soda can also be used to adsorb odors around the home, including in refrigerators and closets.
- Lemon juice can be used to help dissolve soap scum and hard water deposits. When added to a vinegar/water cleaning mixture, it also helps neutralize the vinegar smell.
- Cornstarch (as well as baking soda) can be used to help deodorize rugs and carpets. Sprinkle about 1 cup per room, then vacuum after 30 minutes.